“A great attitude does much more than turn on the lights in our worlds; it seems to magically connect us to all sorts of serendipitous opportunities that were somehow absent before the change.” Earl Nightingale
A friend told me about a series of chance occurrences that together became a very fortunate happenstance. Her story brightened my day and I hope it brightens yours.
- Fortuity (a chance occurrence).
Two colleagues, A and B, meet at a conference.
- Geniality (a friendly and cheerful manner)
They enjoy a pleasant conversation.
- Invitation (a request for someone to go somewhere or do something)
Colleague A invites Colleague B to attend a meeting later that week.
- Reconnection (to meet or come into contact again after a long absence)
At the meeting, Colleague B reconnects with former Colleague C.
- Open-minded (unprejudiced)
Although Colleague B had not been positively impressed by Colleague C in the past, Colleague B keeps an open mind.
- Revelation (a surprising and previously unknown fact)
Colleague B discovers that Colleague C is pleasant and knowledgeable.
- Synchronicity (meaningful coincidences)
Colleague B and Colleague C learn they will both be vacationing in close proximity at the same time.
- Hospitality (friendly and generous reception and entertainment of guests)
Colleague B invites Colleague C to visit during their vacation.
- Amazement (a feeling of great surprise or wonder)
When Colleague C and her hosts visit Colleague B, they are impressed by Colleague B’s 11-year old son’s intelligence and vivacity.
- Reciprocation (respond to a gesture by making a corresponding one)
Colleague C and her hosts reciprocate by inviting Colleague B’s family to join them for a meal.
- Kindness (the quality of being friendly, generous and considerate)
Colleague C’s hosts offer to let Colleague B’s son co-pilot their plane back to their mutual home town.
- Elation (great happiness and exhilaration)
Colleague B’s son is excited and overjoyed by the experience.
- Gratitude (being thankful)
Colleague B’s family is grateful for their son’s unexpected and wonderful experience.
- Serendipity (luck that takes the form of finding valuable or pleasant things that are not looked for)
I’d definitely consider this chain of events serendipity, wouldn’t you?
May your learning be sweet and serendipitous.