Employees in a team are expected to perform effectively, both as individual contributors and as members of the team. Team training can provide the tools and build the skills necessary to ensure a productive and harmonious team.
What can happen if the team does not receive training?
- Team members will operate independently instead of taking advantage of the different strengths and capabilities of other team members.
Training can raise their awareness of how they typically perform in a team environment and let them experience the tangible benefits of teamwork.
- Team members may communicate and act upon different perceptions of the team’s mission and objectives.
Training can give them time to create, discuss and agree upon the team’s mission and objectives, so that they act in a consistent and unified fashion.
- Team members may not know how to work through differences and make decisions.
Training can help them recognize the value of and develop a code of conduct and procedural guidelines for team members.
- Team members may be unaware of the strengths and skills that different team members bring to the team and the resulting roles that they can play.
Training can provide time for discussion, discovery and acknowledgment of individual areas of expertise and their value to the work of the team.
- Team members may not understand how they contribute to the team or feel appreciated.
Training can establish a comfortable environment for team members to provide positive feedback and validate each other’s contributions.
- Team members may be oversensitive to the behaviors of others on the team.
Training can help the team become aware of and understand different personality traits, so they no longer get defensive and take those behaviors personally.
- Team members may have no idea how to manage conflict in a constructive manner.
Training can give them insight into their personal conflict management styles and teach them how to handle conflict in a more constructive manner.
- Team members may neglect to assess their group process so that they can make changes where necessary.
Training can help team members air concerns about different aspects of team interactions and identify strategies to address those concerns.
These eight benefits of team training will more than compensate for the time it takes the team away from their daily responsibilities.
Contact me if you’d like a free copy of the Team Stage Analysis Form.
May your learning be sweet- and safe.
#management #team #teamwork #productivity #culture #success #leadership