“I like the fact that students are taking the responsibility for learning in order to make sure they can be an active participant in the group.” Anon.
We assign pre-work for learners to gain knowledge that they will then be able to apply during a training session.
This pre-work may include prerecorded lectures, reading materials, video demonstrations, and self-directed exercises. It may be provided in paper form, online through blogs, podcasts, and videos, or through social networking and discussion boards.
Pre-work seems like a great idea. However, its effectiveness depends on a number of variables. The most important of these is how you will encourage participants to complete it!
Selection of the Pre-Work:
- What change in knowledge or behavior is desired at the completion of the training program?
- What information do the participants need to learn on their own?
- What is a reasonable amount of information for participants to absorb?
- What is a reasonable amount of time to expect participants to do the pre-work?
- What format(s) will be most effective for the participants to learn and retain the information?
- Are the necessary systems in place to house the pre-work and document its completion?
- How will access to the pre-work be ensured for all participants?
- How much time should elapse between completion of the pre-work and attendance in the class?
- How will the pre-work information be reinforced until attendance in the class?
Communication Regarding the Pre-Work
- How will the participants be notified about the pre-work?
- How will the participants be encouraged to complete the pre-work?
- How will participants be reminded to complete the pre-work?
Completion of the Pre-Work:
- Will participants be given work time to do the pre-work- and if so, how much time?
- What will be the deadline for the completion of the pre-work?
- How will completion of the pre-work be documented?
- Is there a way to mandate completion of the pre-work?
Integration of the Pre-Work into Class Activities:
- How will retention of pre-work information be checked at the beginning of the class?
- How will the pre-work information be incorporated into the class for participants who did not complete the pre-work?
Question: Do you use pre-work and, if so, how do you ensure it is completed?
May your learning be sweet- and safe.
#prework #flippedclassroom #selfdirectedlearning